Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Beltsville in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Site of Van Horn's Tavern

 
 
Site of Van Horn's Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, January 2, 2004
1. Site of Van Horn's Tavern Marker
Inscription. An important stopping place in colonial days. Mentioned by Washington, Lafayette and other noted men after the Revolution. Count de Rochambeau's troops camped here in June 1782 on the return march from the victory at Yorktown.
 
Erected by State Roads Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Washington-Rochambeau Route marker series.
 
Location. 39° 2.583′ N, 76° 53.741′ W. Marker is in Beltsville, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Baltimore Pike and Odell Road on Old Baltimore Pike. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Beltsville MD 20705, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ammendale Normal Institute (approx. half a mile away); Van Horn’s Tavern (approx. 0.7 miles away); Queen’s Chapel Methodist Church, Established 1868 (approx. 1.5 miles away); Ebenezer Meeting House (approx. 1.5 miles away); When the Iron was Hot: African America Ironworkers of Muirkirk (approx. 1.6 miles away); Iron Production: Maryland's Industrial Past - The Iron Making Process
Site of Van Horn's Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 4, 2013
2. Site of Van Horn's Tavern Marker
(approx. 1.6 miles away); Abraham Hall: A Historic African American Benevolent Lodge (approx. 1.6 miles away); Three Sisters: Close Knit Communities of the Laurel Area. (approx. 1.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Beltsville.
 
More about this marker. There is another marker, "Van Horn's Tavern" with an arrow, .7 miles southwest at intersection of Baltimore Avenue (US 1) and Prince George's Avenue.
 
Additional comments.
1. History of Van Horn Tavern
The Wikipedia entry for Beltsville, MD tells the story this way:
"By 1730, Post Road (now part of US 1) was the main thoroughfare through Beltsville. Though crude, it made stagecoach travel possible. In 1783, Gabriel Peterson Van Horn established a stage line and built the Van Horn Tavern on Odell Road, where passengers could spend the night as they traveled between Baltimore and Washington. The trip took one and one-half days." Note To Editor only visible by Contributor and editor    
    — Submitted August 7, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Site of Van Horn's Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 4, 2013
3. Site of Van Horn's Tavern Marker

 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceNotable PersonsWar, US Revolutionary
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,749 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.   2, 3. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement