Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Lighthouse & Informer / John H. McCray

 
 
The Lighthouse & Informer Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 29, 2010
1. The Lighthouse & Informer Marker
Inscription. (Front text)
The Lighthouse & Informer
, long the leading black newspaper in S.C., was a weekly published here from 1941 to 1954 by journalist and civil rights advocate John Henry McCray (1910-1997). McCray, who founded and paper “so our people can have a voice and some means of getting along together,” published articles covering every aspect of black life and columns and editorials advocating equal rights.
(Reverse text)
John H. McCray
In 1944, after the S.C. General Assembly repealed laws regulating primaries and the S.C. Democratic Party excluded blacks from voting in them, John H. McCray helped found the Progressive Democratic Party, the first black Democratic party in the South. He was an editor for other leading black newspapers in the 1950s and 1960s, then spent many years as an administrator at his alma mater, Talladega College. McCray died in Alabama in 1987.
 
Erected 2008 by The Historic Columbia Foundation, the City of Columbia, and the S.C. Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 40-144.)
 
Location. 34° 0.614′ N, 81° 1.278′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Harden Street, on the right when traveling
John H. McCray image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 29, 2010
2. John H. McCray
south. Click for map. Located between Taylor and Hampton Streets. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1507 Harden Street, Columbia SC 29204, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carver Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); Allen University (within shouting distance of this marker); Waverly (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Visanska-Starks House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Benedict College (approx. 0.2 miles away); Matthew J. Perry House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fair-Rutherford House / Rutherford House (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Chesnut Cottage" (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbia.
 
Also see . . .  University of South Caroliniana Library Manuscripts Collections ; John H. McCray. ... In 1938 he became editor and publisher of The Lighthouse and Informer, which in 1941 moved its offices from Charleston to Columbia .... (Submitted on September 17, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. African AmericansCommunications
 
The Lighthouse & Informer / John H. McCray Marker, looking south along Harden Street image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 29, 2010
3. The Lighthouse & Informer / John H. McCray Marker, looking south along Harden Street
The Lighthouse & Informer / John H. McCray Marker, as seen looking north along Harden Street image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 29, 2010
4. The Lighthouse & Informer / John H. McCray Marker, as seen looking north along Harden Street
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 983 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement