“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Conyers in Rockdale County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

Conyers Methodist Church

Conyers Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 5, 2010
1. Conyers Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. Conyers Methodist Church was organized in 1852 by Rev. John L. Stewart, Rev. Joel Stansell, Rev. David T. White. The present building, fourth on the site, was dedicated in 1902 by Bishop Warren A. Candler and Rev. M. L. Troutman, pastor. This church has always fostered good citizenship. In 1857 after a political meeting on the grounds a newspaper reported, “Alexander H. Stephens delivered a great speech that day.” A Women’s Foreign Missionary Society was organized in 1878, one of ten required in each conference for charter. Two missionaries ~ Rev. D. L. Anderson to China in 1882 and Miss Layona Glenn to Brazil in 1894 ~ and one minister, Rev. A. Lee Hale, ordained in 1920, have been given by this church.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 122-2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 40.173′ N, 84° 1.129′ W. Marker is in Conyers, Georgia, in Rockdale County. Marker is on North Main Street 0 miles north of Glade street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 921 North Main Street, Conyers GA 30012, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
Conyers United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 5, 2010
2. Conyers United Methodist Church
The marker is at the far left in the photo.
markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rockdale County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sherman at Conyers (approx. 0.3 miles away); “Fightin’ Joe” Wheeler (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rev. Henry Quigg, D.D. (approx. 0.4 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 6.5 miles away); Rebecca Latimer Felton (approx. 8.6 miles away); Kitty's Cottage (approx. 9 miles away); Old Church - 1841 (approx. 9.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Conyers.
Categories. Churches, Etc.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 486 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement