Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ripon in Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Ripon College

 
 
Ripon College Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, October 28, 2007
1. Ripon College Marker
Inscription. Incorporated January 29, 1851. The first College building, East Hall, was staked out that spring by Ripon city founders David Mapes and Alvan Bovay. Chartered as Brockway College, it was renamed Ripon College in 1864 and graduated its first class, four women, in 1867. Although private and non-sectarian, it was given support by the Winnebago Convention of Presbyterian and Congregational Churches until 1868. A regiment of the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry was mobilized here during the Civil War. The three original buildings are still in use.
 
Erected 1972 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 184.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 43° 50.678′ N, 88° 50.414′ W. Marker is in Ripon, Wisconsin, in Fond du Lac County. Marker is on Ransom Street north of West Blossom Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ripon WI 54971, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Congregational Church of Ripon (within shouting distance of this marker); 401 Watson Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of the Republican Party
East Hall / Ripon College Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, October 28, 2007
2. East Hall / Ripon College Marker
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of Republican Party (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Ripon (approx. mile away); Ceresco (approx. 0.6 miles away); Carrie Chapman Catt (approx. 0.7 miles away); "Daycholah" (approx. 5.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ripon.
 
Also see . . .  Ripon College: History. "The original three limestone buildings which witnessed the commencement of 1867 remain in use: East, Smith and West Halls. These, along with seven other campus buildings, were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1995." (Submitted on November 17, 2007.) 
 
Categories. EducationWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,337 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement