HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Augusta Arsenal
A "great arsenal of construction..."
 
The Augusta Arsenal Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, September 12, 2010
1. The Augusta Arsenal Marker
 
Inscription. On January 24, 1861 five days after Georgia's secession from the Union, Governor Joseph E. Brown accepted the surrender of the United States Arsenal at Augusta from Captain Arnold Elzey. {Picture included} Brown rejected Elzey's request that his troops be allowed to take their arms, they having " brought none with them." Thus Georgia acquired 27,000 muskets and rifles, two cannon, and two twelve-pound howitzers. The Augusta Chronicle reported the departing Federals "fired a national salute of 33 guns, lowered the stars and stripes from the flag-staff, and formally gave up the position. The independent flag of the Republic of Georgia was hoisted in its stead, and the affair was over." As 82 Federal troops marched out, a detachment of the six hundred man Augusta Independent Battalion volunteer militia took command. The Augusta Arsenal would play a major role in supplying the Confederates, becoming the lower South's arsenal most responsible for the production and repair of field artillery during the war.
 By mid-1861, Confederate Chief of Ordnance Josiah Gorgas began making the Augusta site a "great arsenal of construction where ammunition, field and siege artillery projectiles and ordnance stores in general [would] be made in large quantities." The first
 
The Augusta Arsenal Marker Captain Arnold Elzey. Photo, Click for full size
By courtesy of Augusta Museum of History
2. The Augusta Arsenal Marker Captain Arnold Elzey.
 
Confederate commandant, Captain W.G. Gill, oversaw construction of a massive brick building on the eastern boundary of the arsenal. It housed a [words covered by framework] (right side text) department of field artillery. By the end of the war a portion of it also served as a hospital. The construction of many other new buildings occured after Lieutenant Colonel George Washington Rains took command in April 1862.
 Rains's employees included a chemist, a master armorer, and many artisans. The significance of the work in the arsenal made the male workers draft-exempt. However, they did form as a home defense unit to protect the facility in case of attack. Other workers included blacks, woman and even children, who made cartidges and the bags to carry them.
{Picture included: Review of the Clinch Rifles on the parade ground of the Augusta Arsenal, February 1861}
From 1863 through 1865 the arsenal manufactured large quantities of war material from 73,521 horseshoes to 4,622,000 lead balls; from 10,575 powder boxes to 10,760,000 cartridges for small arms; from 2,445 saddles to 1,000,000 percussion caps. Field artillery and equipment for both infantry and cavalry poured from the Augusta Arsenal to Confederate soldiers on battlefields throughout the South, particularly for those defending Georgia.
 Union Major General William T. Sherman's army
 
The Augusta Arsenal Marker, Photo, Click for full size
By courtesy of Augusta Museum of History
3. The Augusta Arsenal Marker,
Review of the Clinch Rifles on the parade ground of the Augusta Arsenal,February 1861}
 
threatened Augusta during its "March to the Sea" in late November 1864. Preparations were made to move much equipment to safety, until the Federal army turned toward Savannah. The war ended for Augusta on May 3, 1865, when Federal troops entered the city. Captain W.H. Warren, acting for Col. Rains, surrendered the arsenal to Union Major General Emory Upton. Once again the stars and stripes (words covered by framework) [for the United States Arsenal] (Pictures included)
Flag of the "Republic of Georgia" William H. T. Walker, participant in the January 24, 1861, seizure, later became a Confederate Major General killed during the July 22, 1864 Battle of Atlanta, and buried in his family's cemetery at the Augusta Arsenal. Map of Augusta Arsenal (Pictures courtesy of Augusta Museum of History)
 
Erected by Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails.
 
Location. 33° 28.59′ N, 82° 1.497′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Click for map. Augusta State University, Walker Street and Bomfield Road intersection: Near Arsenal Avenue and Belleview Avenue. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30904, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Walker Family Cemetery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stephen Vincent Benet House (about 400 feet away); Augusta College Three Original Arsenal Buildings (about 400 feet away); The Bell at Augusta State University (about 500 feet away); Bellevue (about 600 feet away); The Sisters of Saint Joseph In Augusta (approx. 0.2 miles away); Augusta State University (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Augusta Arsenal (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Augusta.
 
The Augusta Arsenal Marker Photo, Click for full size
By courtesy of Augusta Museum of History, September 12, 2010
4. The Augusta Arsenal Marker
Flag of the "Republic of Georgia"
William H. T. Walker, participant in the January 24, 1861, seizure, later became a Confederate Major General killed during the July 22, 1864 Battle of Atlanta, and buried in his family's cemetery at the Augusta Arsenal.
Map of Augusta Arsenal
 

 
Also see . . .
1. Augusta State University. Augusta Arsenal...Originally, the U.S. Arsenal was on the banks of the Savannah River.... (Submitted on September 23, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 

2. Clinch Rifles, Reese Library. Augusta State University, Augusta, Ga. The Clinch Rifles served during the War of Northern Aggression as Company A, 5th Regiment, Georgia Volunteer Infantry. (Submitted on September 23, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
The Augusta Arsenal Marker, Northwest corner and wall Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, September 12, 2010
5. The Augusta Arsenal Marker, Northwest corner and wall
 
 
The Augusta Arsenal Marker, Campus intersection Walker Street and Bomfield Road Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, September 12, 2010
6. The Augusta Arsenal Marker, Campus intersection Walker Street and Bomfield Road
 
 
The Augusta Arsenal West wall section with entrance Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, September 12, 2010
7. The Augusta Arsenal West wall section with entrance
 
 
The Augusta Arsenal Fanning Hall (today) section of west wall building Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, September 12, 2010
8. The Augusta Arsenal Fanning Hall (today) section of west wall building
 
 
The Augusta Arsenal Northside entrance, view inside to Parade Ground Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, September 12, 2010
9. The Augusta Arsenal Northside entrance, view inside to Parade Ground
 
 
The Augusta Arsenal Parade Ground (interior) view of Fanning Hall, west wall Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, September 12, 2010
10. The Augusta Arsenal Parade Ground (interior) view of Fanning Hall, west wall
 
 
The Augusta Arsenal eastside building from Parade Ground Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, September 12, 2010
11. The Augusta Arsenal eastside building from Parade Ground
 
 
The Augusta Arsenal Parade Ground view of south side buildings Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, September 12, 2010
12. The Augusta Arsenal Parade Ground view of south side buildings
Sundial, today, at center of Parade Ground
 
 
The Augusta Arsenal Southside entrance Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, September 12, 2010
13. The Augusta Arsenal Southside entrance
 
 
The Augusta Arsenal , view across Parade Ground, to Northwest corner Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, September 12, 2010
14. The Augusta Arsenal , view across Parade Ground, to Northwest corner
 
 
The Augusta Arsenal Cannon display, east side at Parade Ground Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, September 12, 2010
15. The Augusta Arsenal Cannon display, east side at Parade Ground
 
 
The Augusta Arsenal Cannon Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, September 12, 2010
16. The Augusta Arsenal Cannon
 
 
The Augusta Arsenal Cannon's rightside Trunnion Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, September 12, 2010
17. The Augusta Arsenal Cannon's rightside Trunnion
Leeds & Co
New Orleans
Leeds & Co.: New Orleans firm which apparently made a single 8-inch Columbiad, which burst, and from then on produced bronze field calibers until fall of the city in April, 1862. Charles J. and Thomas L. Leeds, proprietors.
 
 
The Augusta Arsenal Cannon, leftside Trunnion Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, September 12, 2010
18. The Augusta Arsenal Cannon, leftside Trunnion
"1862"
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,451 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18. submitted on September 23, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 250 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.