Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lufkin in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Berry Cemetery

 
 
Berry Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, September 19, 2010
1. Berry Cemetery Marker
Inscription. In 1850, Samuel and Elizabeth Berry brought their family and slaves here from Limestone Co., Alabama. Samuel's plantation covered hundreds of acres and included a cotton gin and gristmill. Berry Cemetery began in 1863 when Samuel's grandson and namesake died. He and his twin sister Elizabeth, who died in 1869, were buried on the crest of a hill on the Berry plantation. A low red rock wall encloses the family plot, with an adjoining section set aside for Samuel's slaves. The land later became a community burial ground for families of the Moffet area. Gravestone materials include granite, limestone, marble and petrified wood. The Berry Cemetery Association Trust formed in 1977 to maintain this pioneer graveyard. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2004 Marker is Property of the State of Texas
 
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14367.)
 
Location. 31° 23.895′ N, 94° 38.907′ W. Marker is near Lufkin, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 842, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. The cemetery is behind Mt. Zion Baptist Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4303 FM 842, Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker
Berry Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, September 19, 2010
2. Berry Cemetery Marker
, measured as the crow flies. Southland Paper Mills, Inc. (approx. 3.5 miles away); Walker Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away); Redland Baptist Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); Angelina & Neches River Railroad (approx. 4.6 miles away); Machinery from Early East Texas Logging Railroads (approx. 4.7 miles away); Mantooth Farm (approx. 5.7 miles away); Angelina (approx. 5.9 miles away); Original site of St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church (approx. 6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lufkin.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
 
Berry Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, September 19, 2010
3. Berry Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,467 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement