Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Tomlinson Fort House

 
 
Tomlinson Fort House Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 5, 2010
1. Tomlinson Fort House Marker
Inscription. At this site lived Tomlinson Fort (1787-1859). A leader of the Union Party, he studied medicine and wrote a widely used book on medical practice. A captain in the War of 1812, he served in the Georgia legislature and the U.S. Congress, and on the board of governors of the University of Georgia. He founded the Federal Union in 1830 and was president of the Central Bank of Georgia. As early as 1822 he advocated replacing the Poor School Fund with a public school system. He was instrumental in establishing at Milledgeville in 1837 the Georgia Lunatic Asylum, now the largest state institution in Georgia.
 
Erected 1961 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 005-25.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 4.76′ N, 83° 13.783′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the intersection of West Greene Street and South Liberty Street, on the right when traveling west on West Greene Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. De Soto in Georgia (about 500 feet away, measured in a
Tomlinson Fort House Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 5, 2010
2. Tomlinson Fort House Marker
direct line); Birthplace of Charles Holmes Herty (about 500 feet away); Dr Charles Holmes Herty Statesman -Chemist (about 500 feet away); Old Governorís Mansion (about 700 feet away); The Great Seal of Georgia (about 700 feet away); The Milledgeville Hotel and Oliver Hardy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Statehouse Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); State College (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Milledgeville.
 
Regarding Tomlinson Fort House. The Fort House was to be torn down for the expansion of a bank's drive-through and parking facilities. The house was saved and moved to a different location in the Milledgeville historic district.
 
Categories. Notable Persons
 
Tomlinson Fort House Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 5, 2010
3. Tomlinson Fort House Marker
Looking west on West Greene Street toward South Liberty Street. The 1820 Paine-Jones house is on the left.
Tomlinson Fort House Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 5, 2010
4. Tomlinson Fort House Marker
In the background is the parking lot where the house stood.
Tomlinson Fort House image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 5, 2010
5. Tomlinson Fort House
The house, built c. 1820, in its new location.
Tomlinson Fort House image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 5, 2010
6. Tomlinson Fort House
In its new location
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 879 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   6. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement