Near Fortson in Harris County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bartlett's Ferry Dam; Antioch Baptist Church
<-- 1 ½ MI. --<
In 1926, Barley’s Ferry Dam (misspelled Bartlett), largest in the middle Chattahoochee group, was built and a hydroelectric plant erected to furnish power to City of Columbus.
Erected 1992 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 072-10.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 40.423′ N, 85° 3.507′ W. Marker is near Fortson, Georgia, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Georgia Route 219 and Bartlett's Ferry Road, on the right when traveling north on State Route 219. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fortson GA 31808, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mountain Hill District Consolidated School (approx. 2.5 miles away); Camp McKenzie Fortson House (approx. 8.5 miles away); Line 32° 28´ North Latitude (approx. 10 miles away in Alabama); Whitesville (approx. 10.1 miles away); Whitesville Methodist Episcopal Church, South (approx. 10.2 miles away); Sunnyside School, Midway Baptist Church and Midway Cemetery Historic District (approx. 11 miles away); Fairfax First Christian Church (approx. 11.1 miles away in Alabama). Click for a list of all markers in Fortson.
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier marker of the same title and text, erected by the Georgia Historical Commission at this location.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Churches, Etc. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 868 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.