LaGrange in Troup County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Noted Indian Trail
Beginning at present Augusta, Georgia the route led this way via Warrenton, Eatonton, Indian Springs and Greenville. From here it passed south to LaGrange and continued westward to Oakfuskee Town, early main center of the Upper Creeks, located on the Tallapoosa River to the west of Dadeville, Alabama.
White traders with the Indians began using this thoroughfare in the early 1700s. Eventually the route became a pioneers’ trace of significance.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 141-5.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 58.899′ N, 84° 59.598′ W. Marker is in LaGrange, Georgia, in Troup County. Marker is at the intersection of Hamilton Road (U.S. 27) and Lower Big Springs Road, on the left when traveling south on Hamilton Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lagrange GA 30241, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured East Depot High School (approx. 4 miles away); Confederate Dead (approx. 4 miles away); Horace King Bridge Builder (approx. 4.4 miles away); Troup County (approx. 4.5 miles away); Lafayette (approx. 4.5 miles away); Fuller Earle Callaway, Sr. (approx. 4.6 miles away); The Nancy Harts (approx. 4.6 miles away); George Michael Troup (approx. 4.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in LaGrange.
Categories. • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 534 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.