Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Battle Ground in Tippecanoe County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Methodist Camp

 

—Battle Ground College —

 
Left Section - - The Methodist Camp Marker image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn Wolf, September 26, 2010
1. Left Section - - The Methodist Camp Marker
(Click on any of these photos to see the details.)
Inscription.

Left Side Text

In 1857, leaders of the Methodist Church choose this site to serve as the Battle Ground Collegiate Institute. The site was chosen because of its historic significance, its natural features, and its close proximity to the railroad and nearby towns. From 1859 to 1882 the average enrollment in the school was 275 students. Boys earned a Bachelor of Science degree and the girls earned a Mistress of the English Literature.

In 1874, the Methodist Church converted the site into a gathering place for Methodists from around the state. They “...hoped to supply a pleasant place where parents could afford a few weeks of change of scene and air in the summertime, to their children, at a small outlay.” The first camp meeting was held in the woods in 1874 and in subsequent years, a tabernacle, cottages, dining hall, swimming pool, and retreat center were added to accommodate the summer camps. The site was used for that purpose up until the late 1960s before being sold to the Tippecanoe County Park & Recreation Board in 1974.

Upper Right Text

Cottages:
Construction of the first cottages began in 1875. By 1917, 55 cottages were in use. In the late 1960's and 1970's the cottages were torn down. Several cottages were moved and are residences in Battle Ground.
 
Location.

Full View - - The Methodist Camp Marker image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn Wolf, September 26, 2010
2. Full View - - The Methodist Camp Marker
40° 30.4′ N, 86° 50.622′ W. Marker is near Battle Ground, Indiana, in Tippecanoe County. Marker is on Battleground Avenue west of Railroad Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located in Tippecanoe Battle Ground Memorial area near the Welcome Center. Railroad Street has many names:: In the Town of Battle Ground it is "Railroad Street", In Lafayette it is "9th Street", and it is also called "County Road 100 E". Marker is in this post office area: Battle Ground IN 47920, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Battle of Tippecanoe (a few steps from this marker); Potawatomi ‘Trail of Death’ Route (within shouting distance of this marker); Tippecanoe Battlefield Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stricken Down in the Performance of Duty (about 300 feet away); World War I Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Prophet’s Rock (approx. 0.4 miles away); Prophet’s Town (approx. 1.1 miles away); Tippecanoe Battleground (approx. 1.7 miles away but has been reported missing). Click for a list of all markers in Battle Ground.
 
Also see . . .  Slide Show of the Battle Ground - - "Chapel"::. (Submitted on September 28, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Education
 
"Cottage" - - The Methodist Camp image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn Wolf, September 26, 2010
3. "Cottage" - - The Methodist Camp
To raise funds for developing the Camp Meeting Area, families that donated $25 were given a 16' x 24' building lot upon which to build a family cabin. Structures ranged from wood frame cabins to 2-story structures with balconies and porches.
Marshall Hotel - - Carpenter Hall image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn Wolf, September 26, 2010
4. Marshall Hotel - - Carpenter Hall
The Marshall Hotel was used by students attending the Battle Ground College Institute. It replaced the original structure built in 1857. It contained a dormitory, four recitation rooms, two libraries, a study hall, music room and two large halls for literary society meetings. In 1926, it was transformed into a 3-story, 46-room hotel to serve families attending camp meetings. The Marshall hotel was demolished in 1962, but a portion of the Carpenter Hall remains on the west end of the current Museum.
The Switzer Auditorium image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn Wolf, September 26, 2010
5. The Switzer Auditorium
This 2,500 seat tabernacle was erected in 1875 and was the focal point of Camp Meetings. A 2-story preacher’s cottage was attached to the west end. Camp revivals held in the building lasted several hours, often led by nationally known evangelists. An estimated 200,000 people attended services in the tabernacle.
Battle Ground - - "Chapel" image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn Wolf, September 26, 2010
6. Battle Ground - - "Chapel"
In the 1888 Camp Association minutes, reference is made to a Chapel being on the grounds. The Chapel was located near the northwest corner of the present parking lot. In the 1980's, Battle Ground residents raised funds to restore and move the Chapel to its present location.
"Swimming Pool" - - The Methodist Camp image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn Wolf, September 26, 2010
7. "Swimming Pool" - - The Methodist Camp
In 1919, a swimming pool was built to serve youth institute campers and was filled with water pumped from Burnett’s Creek.
Wide View - - The Methodist Camp Marker image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn Wolf, September 26, 2010
8. Wide View - - The Methodist Camp Marker
Some of the "Methodist College / Camp Groud" can be seen in the background.
Long View - - The Methodist Camp Marker image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn Wolf, September 26, 2010
9. Long View - - The Methodist Camp Marker
Battle Ground - - Visitor Center image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn Wolf, September 26, 2010
10. Battle Ground - - Visitor Center
The marker can be seen between the two buildings.
Sign - - Welcome to Battle Ground image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn Wolf, September 26, 2010
11. Sign - - Welcome to Battle Ground
Note that the active railroad (tracks) yet exist - as seen in the background.
Sign - - Tippecanoe Battlefield image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn Wolf, September 26, 2010
12. Sign - - Tippecanoe Battlefield
Click photo, to note that this portion of the property is yet under the "Tippecanoe County Parks and Recreation Department" direction.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 984 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement