Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Cedar Hill

 
 
Cedar Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, September 28, 2010
1. Cedar Hill Marker
Inscription. Cedar Hill was constructed ca. 1820 and originally stood off Creighton Road near the Hanover County line. During the Civil War, units of Kershaw's Division of the Army of the Confederate States set up camp at Cedar Hill and built fortifications on the property.

In 1998 when the house was moved it was one of only 10 remaining one-and-a-half-story frame houses existing in Henrico from the early 19th century. Cedar Hill was donated to the Henrico County Historical Society by St. Paul's Baptist Church and moved to Meadowview Park by Henrico County.
 
Erected 2009 by County of Henrico. (Marker Number HC-27.)
 
Location. 37° 34.325′ N, 77° 21.746′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker is on Clarendon Road 0.1 miles north of Mylan Road, on the right. Click for map. This marker is located in Meadowview Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4001 Clarendon Road, Richmond VA 23223, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Marshall's Farm (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Cold Harbor Road (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Confederates Attack
Cedar Hill in Meadowview Park image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, September 28, 2010
2. Cedar Hill in Meadowview Park
(approx. 1.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Holding the High Ground (approx. 1.6 miles away); Site of Ellerson’s Mill (approx. 1.6 miles away); Beaver Dam Creek (approx. 1.6 miles away); Lee’s First Strike (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Creek Runs Red (approx. 1.6 miles away but has been reported missing).
 
Also see . . .
1. Armour House and Gardens at Meadowview Park. Henrico County Recreation & Parks (Submitted on September 29, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 

2. Past Preservation - Cedar Hill & Armour House. Henrico County Historical Society (Submitted on September 29, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Cedar Hill circa 1820 image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, July 10, 2009
3. Cedar Hill circa 1820
This 19th-century farmhouse was moved from its original location on Old Creighton Road (1 mile south). It was the home of James D. Vaughan, who served in the 10th Virginia Cavalry.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 700 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement