Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glen Allen in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Courtney Road Service Station

 
 
Courtney Road Service Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, September 28, 2010
1. Courtney Road Service Station Marker
Inscription. The 1920s were the boom years for construction of gas stations in the United States due to an increase of cars, improved roads and low gas prices. By 1929, there were 143,000 "filling" stations across the nation. Many were built in the "House with Canopy" design of the Courtney Road Service Station, a style that was a 1916 Standard Oil Company prototype. In 1938, the Barlow family owned the station and surrounding land. Selling Sinclair Gasoline and Oil Products, the station was operated by Mr. Millard G. Wiltshire. The station also served as a social hub for the Glen Allen community.
 
Erected 2010 by County of Henrico. (Marker Number HC-28.)
 
Location. 37° 40.261′ N, 77° 31.142′ W. Marker is in Glen Allen, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker is at the intersection of Mountain Road and Courtney Road, on the right when traveling east on Mountain Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Glen Allen VA 23060, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Courtney Road Service Station (a few steps from this marker); Sheppard and Baker's Grant (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Meadow Farm
Courtney Road Service Station image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, September 28, 2010
2. Courtney Road Service Station
(approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Meadow Farm (approx. 0.4 miles away); Glen Allen Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Box Car (approx. 0.6 miles away); Caboose (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mountain Road (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Glen Allen.
 
Also see . . .  Brookland District Historic Sites - Courtney Road Service Station. Henrico County Historical Society (Submitted on September 29, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 627 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement