“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Layton (Sandyston Township) in Sussex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Bevans, New Jersey

Bevans, New Jersey Marker image. Click for full size.
By Patte (Haggerty) Frato, Sandyston Twp. Historian
1. Bevans, New Jersey Marker
Inscription. Originally named for early settler and surveyor Peter Van Neste in 1761. Nicknamed Hen's Foot, The Corners, and finally Bevans for its Postmaster James C. Bevans in 1829. The Peter's Valley Society for Literature was est. Jan. 1, 1813. The Dutch Reformed Church at Peter's Valley was built in 1838. The Universalistic Church was gathered in 1847. The historic "Old Mine Road" and Delaware River are to the West. Peter's Valley flouring mill ruins on the Big Flatbrook lie nearby. Bevans was lost to the Tocks Island Dam Project of 1960-70's and the name Peter's Valley was reinstated. Today this hamlet and surrounding area belong to the National Park Service.
Erected 2010 by Sandyston Township Historical Society.
Location. 41° 11.814′ N, 74° 51.017′ W. Marker is in Layton (Sandyston Township), New Jersey, in Sussex County. Marker is on County Route 615 near Walpack Road and Kuhn Road when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Branchville NJ 07826, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Village of Bevans (approx. 0.9 miles away); Layton, New Jersey (approx. 1.8 miles away); Dingman's Ferry (approx. 2.1 miles away in Pennsylvania); Stokes State Forest (approx. 2.9 miles away); Wallpack, N.J. (approx. 3.1 miles away but has been reported missing); Hainesville, New Jersey (approx. 4.5 miles away); The Westbrook - Bell House (approx. 5.6 miles away); Old Mine Road (approx. 5.6 miles away).
Additional comments.
1. Bevans Historic Marker
This marker was dedicated on Sunday, Oct.3, 2010. It was paid for entirely with donations made by the members of the Sandyston Township Historical Society.
Sandyston Township is very proud of its history. Today this village, once known as Peter's Valley, changed to Bevans, and again to Peter's Valley in 1970, is part of the Delaware Water Gap National Recreational Area, this sign is placed on the right of way of a Sandyston Township, Sussex County, N.J. road right of way. Contacts: Sandyston Township Historical Society at***or** for more information about this hamlet.
    — Submitted February 5, 2013, by Patricia Haggerty Frato of Hainesville, N.j..

Categories. Churches, Etc.Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Cheryl (Rome) Thom of Newton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 946 times since then and 140 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Cheryl (Rome) Thom of Newton, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement