Fort Scott in Bourbon County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Heart of Fort Scott
"Fort Scott can boast of the handsomest Square in Kansas Territory."
Fort Scott Democrat, praising the town plaza, April 5, 1860
The grassy square in front of you silently witnessed events that defined Fort Scott and that reflected a growing nation. Built originally as the fort's parade ground, this square truly is the heart of Fort Scott.
When the army sold Fort Scott in 1855, the parade ground became a town park called Carroll Plaza. Through the years this ground hosted military pomp, music, laughter, civic pride, political strife, violence, and suffering - events and emotions symbolic of a young America.
[Photo captions read]
The basic, historic look of the parade ground is seen in this circa-1900 postcard view. Notice all four officers' quarters, and that the well canopy and powder magazine are gone. A bandstand occupies the site where the post flagpole once stood.
A military band practices on the plaza (far left) during the Civil War. In 1862 the Fort Scott Bulletin observed, "The Brass Bands of the 2nd Ohio Cavalry and 9th Wisconsin Infantry, daily discourse the best music, from Carroll Plaza. They are both good bands, and will be much missed when they leave us.
Erected 1998 by National Park Service.
Location. 37° 50.582′ N, 94° 42.283′ W. Marker is in Fort Scott, Kansas, in Bourbon County. Marker can be reached from Old Fort Boulevard. Click for map. Marker is on the grounds of Fort Scott National Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Scott KS 66701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Infantry Life (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Town (within shouting distance of this marker); "A Most Deplorable Condition" (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Scott Yesterday (within shouting distance of this marker); Free to Learn (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Crack Post of the Frontier" (within shouting distance of this marker); Western Hotel: Symbol of Strife (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Where Was the Bathroom? (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Scott.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Scott National Historic Site. (Submitted on September 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Fort Scott NHS Historic Structures Report (Submitted on September 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 893 times since then and 5 times this year. Last updated on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.