Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lanett in Chambers County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Ocfuskooche Tallauhassee

 
 
Ocfuskooche Tallauhassee Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 30, 2006
1. Ocfuskooche Tallauhassee Marker
Inscription. A flourishing, ancient town of the Muscogee Indians known as Ocfuskooche Tallahassee (Old Town) stood on this site. English traders from Charles Town visited it about 1685. A trail known as "Old Horse Path" led from this village to the Tallapoosa. Ocfuskooche is known to have existed through Colonial and Revolutionary times but, soon after 1790, the town was abandoned and its inhabitants moved westward to settle on the Tallapoosa River. The westward surge of settlers and bitter frontier fighting forced the move.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 141-10.)
 
Location. 32° 54.766′ N, 85° 11.626′ W. Marker is near Lanett, Alabama, in Chambers County. Marker is on State Line Road (County Route 212) 0.1 miles south of North State Line Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lanett AL 36863, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Tyler (approx. 2.2 miles away in Georgia); More Enduring Than Marble (approx. 2.2 miles away in Georgia); a different marker also named Fort Tyler (approx. 2.3 miles away
Ocfuskooche Tallauhassee Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 18, 2010
2. Ocfuskooche Tallauhassee Marker
Looking south on Chambers County (Alabama) Highway 212 toward West Point, Georgia
in Georgia); Battle of West Point (approx. 2.6 miles away in Georgia); "Daughters of the Confederacy" (approx. 2.6 miles away in Georgia); Gen. Robert C. Tyler, C.S.A. (approx. 2.7 miles away in Georgia); Fort Tyler Cemetery (approx. 2.7 miles away in Georgia); Lanier High School (approx. 2.8 miles away).
 
More about this marker. There is substantial evidence that the marker was originally erected (or intended to be erected) a short distance further north on State Line Road where the road crosses back into Georgia. Of note, this is a Georgia state marker erected in Alabama.
 
Categories. Colonial EraNative Americans
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,236 times since then and 40 times this year. Last updated on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement