Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
This square of 20 acres, set aside for public use in 1803, was used from 1811 until after the War Between the States as the site of the State Penitentiary. The buildings were partly burned during Shermanís occupation in 1864.
Erected 1961 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 005-29.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 4.865′ N, 83° 13.932′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is on North Clark Street (Business U.S. 441) 0 miles from West Hancock Street (Georgia Route 49), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. The markers stands at the western edge of the university. Marker is in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Old Governorís Mansion (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The March to the Sea (about 600 feet away); Dr Charles Holmes Herty Statesman -Chemist (about 700 feet away); Birthplace of Charles Holmes Herty (about 700 feet away); De Soto in Georgia (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Great Seal of Georgia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tomlinson Fort House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brown-Stetson-Sanford House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Milledgeville.
Regarding State College. The school has been renamed again, to the Georgia College and State University, and is co-educational.
Categories. • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 737 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.