Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old State Capitol
>>>>--- 2 Blocks --->
Boulder in yard marks spot where General LaFayette was entertained at barbecue in March 1825. Duplicate of old Capitol building now houses ancient Georgia Military College.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 005-1A.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 4.885′ N, 83° 13.521′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the intersection of South Jefferson Street and East Hancock Street (Georgia Route 22/24), in the median on South Jefferson Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Fort Defiance (here, next to this marker); Sacred Heart Catholic Church (within Troup-Clark Political Feud (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Georgia's Secession Convention (about 500 feet away); Masonic Temple of Benevolent Lodge No 3, F. & A. M. (about 500 feet away); Provost Guard Campsite (about 500 feet away); Alexis de Tocqueville (about 500 feet away); Statehouse Square (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Milledgeville.
Regarding Old State Capitol. The old State Capitol Building was almost destroyed by a fire in 1941. It was rebuilt in 1943.
Categories. • Politics • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 925 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.