Gloucester in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Coast Guard Aviation Monument
In May of 1925 On
Ten Pound Island in Gloucester Harbor
Home of the First Continuously Operating Coast Guard Air Station
Growth in Operations and Aircraft Size Forced a Move
To Salem Massachussetts in 1935 and again to Cape Cod in 1970
go down to the
sea in ships,"
shall not perish.
Location. 42° 36.608′ N, 70° 40.16′ W. Marker is in Gloucester, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of Western Avenue (Massachusetts Route 127) and Middle Street, on the right when traveling north on Western Avenue. Click for map. Located in Stacy Boulevard Waterfront Park. Marker is in this post office area: Gloucester MA 01930, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ten Pound Island Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Gloucester Fishermen's Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Gloucester Korean – Vietnam Veterans Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stacy Esplanade (approx. 0.2 miles away); Blynman Bridge Gloucester Fishermen's Wives Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); In Honor of Nathaniel Haraden (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gloucester World War II Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Gloucester.
Also see . . . A History of Coast Guard Aviation. (Submitted on October 3, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Air & Space • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 700 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.