Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grants in Cibola County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Grants

Population 11,451 Elevation 6500

 
 
Grants Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, September 23, 2010
1. Grants Marker
Inscription. Located just north of the great lava bed known as the malpais, Grants began as a coaling station for the Santa Fe Railroad. Around 1880 it was known as Grant's Camp, after the Canadian bridge contractor Angus A. Grant. In 1950, the area's vast uranium deposits were discovered.
 
Location. 35° 9.384′ N, 107° 52.14′ W. Marker is in Grants, New Mexico, in Cibola County. Marker is on West Santa Fe Avenue (Historic Route 66) 0.1 miles east of State Road 53, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1645 West Sante Fe Avenue, Grants NM 87020, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Vietnam Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); San Rafael (approx. 2.6 miles away); a different marker also named Grants (approx. 2.9 miles away); El Malpais (approx. 13.3 miles away but has been reported missing).
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
Rear of Grants Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, September 23, 2010
2. Rear of Grants Marker
Grants Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, September 23, 2010
3. Grants Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 539 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement