“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Old Oakwood Cemetery

Old Oakwood Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, October 1, 2010
1. Old Oakwood Cemetery Marker
Inscription. The city cemetery was begun by donations of land from Andrew Dexter in 1817 and from General John Scott in 1818. Dexter and Scott had founded separate villages which combined to form Montgomery in 1819. The early part of the graveyard was known as Scott's Free Burying Ground. The cemetery was open to all of Montgomery's people. Many of the soldiers and prominent statesmen who shaped our history as well as ordinary citizens, hanged felons, and unknowns rest in Old Oakwood. Nearly 140 acres in size, the cemetery has no more lots for sale.
(Continued on other side)

(Continued from other side)
Oakwood Cemetery, consisting of Scott's Free Burying Ground, Plats 1,2,3, and 4, and the old Catholic and Jewish cemeteries, is filled with the history of this City, State, and area. Those who pioneered the wilderness, made the early decisions, formed our government, promulgated our laws, bore our arms when necessary, and experienced the hardships and successes of our growth rest here. Having passed the torch of progress to us, many of those who were a living and integral part of our history and heritage have at last found safe harbor in Old Oakwood.
Erected by Alabama Historical Association Sponsored by the Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce.
Old Oakwood Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, October 1, 2010
2. Old Oakwood Cemetery Marker
32° 22.954′ N, 86° 17.826′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Columbus Street east of North Ripley Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Note that Columbus Street is one-way going west, and can be accessed from Upper Wetumpka Road or a small extension of Jackson Street that goes through the police department parking lot. Marker is located on the left just inside the main gate of the Oakwood Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Montgomery AL 36104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brigadier General Birkett Davenport Fry, CSA / Colonel B.D. Fry at Battle of Gettysburg (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church (Brick-A-Day Church) (about 500 feet away); Civil War Medicine / Montgomery's Confederate Hospitals (about 600 feet away); William C. Oates (approx. 0.2 miles away); Governor William Calvin Oates / Colonel W. C. Oates, CSA at Gettysburg (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alabama War Veterans Monument (approx. mile away); Ray W. Scott Jr. Founded Bass Anglers Movement (approx. 0.3 miles away); Camellia Designated Alabama State Flower (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Montgomery.
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers
Old Oakwood Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, October 1, 2010
3. Old Oakwood Cemetery Marker
North Jackson Street and the police department parking lot can be seen outside the cemetery gates.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 879 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement