Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Fort Deﬁance
Erected 1936 by Works Progress Administration (WPA) and the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR).
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 33° 4.887′ N, 83° 13.521′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the intersection of South Jefferson Street and East Hancock Street (Georgia Route 22/24), in the median on South Jefferson Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old State Capitol (here, next to this marker); Sacred Heart Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Troup-Clark Political Feud (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Masonic Temple of Benevolent Lodge No 3, F. & A. M. (about 500 feet away); Georgia's Secession Convention (about 500 feet away); Provost Guard Campsite (about 500 feet away); Alexis de Tocqueville (about 500 feet away); Statehouse Square (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Milledgeville.
Regarding Site of Fort Defiance.
Also see . . . Trans-Oconee Republic - New Georgia Encyclopedia. (Submitted on October 9, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,038 times since then and 98 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.