Hampton in Hampton County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
World War II POW Camp
German prisoners of war were held in a camp on this site from September 1943 to the spring of 1946. This camp, one of 21 in S.C., was a sub-camp of Fort Jackson, in Columbia. 250 prisoners captured in North Africa were the first held here; later arrivals were captured in Italy and France. The camp averaged about 250 prisoners at any time. POWs lived in tents with wooden floors or in wooden barracks.
The Hampton Armory across Hoover Street was headquarters for the U.S. Army officers in charge. POWs worked 8-10 hours a day, harvesting peanuts, cutting pulpwood or lumber, or at the Plywoods-Plastics Corporation. They were paid 25 to 80 cents a day in scrip, which they spent at the camp store. When not working prisoners often tended small flower or vegetable gardens, or put on Sunday concerts.
Erected 2010 by The Hampton Museum & Visitors’ Center. (Marker Number 25-14.)
Location. 32° 52.25′ N, 81° 7.109′ W. Marker is in Hampton, South Carolina, in Hampton County. Marker is on Hoover Street South, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located between Locust and Pine Streets West. Marker is in this post office area: Hampton SC 29924, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. American Legion Hut (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hampton Colored School (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Hampton Colored School (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Washington Moore House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Hampton High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Plywoods - Plastics Corporation / Westinghouse Micarta Division (approx. half a mile away); All Wars Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hampton County (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hampton.
Regarding World War II POW Camp. Throughout the South-
Under the Geneva Convention the POWs could not be forced to work, but some volunteered to harvest crops and work in sawmills. They had orchestras, elaborate theater productions and choruses.
About 3,600 were enrolled in a school taught by other prisoners. They were old enough and wise enough to make use of the time while they were here. When they went home, the German government gave them credit for the college-level courses.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. of more S.C. and other POW markers
Also see . . .
1. POW Camps in South Carolina. This list of Prisoner of War Camps, (Submitted on October 5, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. POW Camps in South Carolina. Taken from the US Army Institute of Military History) as of June 1, 1945 At least twenty such camps existed in South Carolina... We recently learned that Beaufort, SC was the site of a camp which housed both German and Italian POWS. (Submitted on October 5, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • War, World II •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,880 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.