Deadwood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Deadwood City 1876
"Six weeks ago the site of Deadwood City was a heavy forest of pine timber, now it extends nearly a mile along Deadwood and Whitewood, and contains nearly two thousand of the most energetic, driving people on the continent. Every branch of business is represented,... houses are going up on every hand - immense [ox] trains are constantly arriving loaded with goods of all kinds."
Black Hills Pioneer, June 1876
Location. 44° 22.62′ N, 103° 43.818′ W. Marker is in Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Lee Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Deadwood SD 57732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Fire of 1879 (a few steps from this marker); The Great Flood (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Facade Replication (about 300 feet away); Ride High, T.C., Ride High (about 300 Waite Block Annex (about 300 feet away); Generations of Change (about 300 feet away); The Badlands (about 500 feet away); Wild Bill (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Deadwood.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,097 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.