Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
St. John's Episcopal Church
Present building erected 1855 under rectorship of Nicholas Hamner Cobbs, first Bishop of Alabama. Primary convention of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Confederate States of America was held here, July 3-6, 1861.
Charles Minnegerode Beckwith, fourth Bishop of Alabama, consecrated here, December 17, 1902.
Erected 1973 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 22.796′ N, 86° 18.447′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Madison Avenue and North Perry Street, on the left when traveling east on Madison Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Montgomery AL 36104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Elijah Cook / City of Montgomery v. Rosa Parks (within shouting distance of this marker); Bernard Whitehurst and the Whitehurst Case / Montgomery: Learning From the Past (within shouting distance of this marker); Montgomery City Hall / Funeral for Hank Williams (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Montgomery and Electricity / Hydroelectricity in the River Region (about 500 Montgomery Theatre (about 600 feet away); The Montgomery Theater (about 600 feet away); Murphy House (about 600 feet away); Montgomery's Slave Depots/Montgomery's Slave Traders (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Montgomery.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 659 times since then and 132 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.