Albany in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Mohawk and Hudson
Chartered in this County,
1826, Began its Run Albany
Erected 1940 by New York State Education Department.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 42° 39.987′ N, 73° 47.498′ W. Marker was in Albany, New York, in Albany County. Marker was at the intersection of Western Ave and Madison Ave., on the right when traveling east on Western Ave. Click for map. Marker is posted beside the bus shelter on a wedge of land between the converging roadways of Western Ave. and Madison Ave, just east of S. Allen St. Marker was in this post office area: Albany NY 12203, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. "The Elms" (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of New York Central Railroad Erector Shop (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Battle of Henry Johnson (approx. 1.4 miles away); New York State Office Building (approx. 1.8 miles away); 200th Anniversary of the Birth of George Washington The Four Immortal Chaplains (approx. 2 miles away); LaFayette Park (approx. 2 miles away); Lincoln in Albany (approx. 2.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Albany.
More about this marker. Appears marker has been removed.
Regarding First Railroad. On December 28, 1825, George William Featherstonhaugh ran a newspaper notice announcing the formation of the Mohawk & Hudson Rail Road Company. The Mohawk & Hudson Railroad became the first chartered railroad in New York State on April 17, 1826. Construction began in August 1830 and the railroad opened September 24, 1831, on a 16-mile route between Albany and Schenectady through the Pine Bush region that separates both cities. The DeWitt Clinton locomotive made its first test run on July 2nd that year. The railroad was seen as a way to reduce the amount of time it took for passengers to travel from Albany to Schenectady on the Erie Canal, which was the leading transportation network of the time, due to the 22 locks between the two cities. On April 19, 1847, the name Mohawk and Hudson was changed to the Albany & Schenectady Railroad. The Albany and Schenectady
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,091 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 2. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 3. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 4. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 5. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on December 20, 2016.