Mt. Pleasant in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Haddrell’s Point extended along the waterfront from Shem Creek to Cove Inlet and was named for George Haddrell, an early settler. The land bordering Shem Creek became home to important industries including factories, canneries, and rice and saw mills. The mills drew their power from the tides of Shem Creek.
In early 1776, a battery was erected at Haddrell’s Point and placed under the command of Brigadier General John Armstrong. The strategic location of the battery was vital in safeguarding Charleston from British attacks. With ceremonial fanfare, President George Washington embarked from Haddrell’s Point to Charleston, during his Southern tour in 1791.
Location. 32° 47.353′ N, 79° 52.992′ W. Marker is in Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is at the intersection of Haddrell Street and Live Oak Drive, on the right when traveling east on Haddrell Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Pleasant SC 29464, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Ferry Tract (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hibben House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hibben House / British Occupation Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Shem Creek (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Whilden House / 54th Massachusetts Regiment (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mount Pleasant Home for Destitute Children (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pitt Street Merchants (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Mt. Pleasant.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 890 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on . • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.