Mt. Pleasant in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Hibben House / British Occupation
A 1777 map shows a house on this property owned by Jacob Motte, Charleston City Treasurer. His 67 acre plantation called Mount Pleasant provided the name for the present town. James Hibben purchased the land in 1803. The home now known as the Hibben House is one of the oldest in the area. It has been extensively renovated and modified.
Following the surrender of Charleston to the British in May 1780, General William Moultrie and other patriots were held captive near here. His memoirs recount a June 1780 meeting in the upstairs drawing room of Jacob Motte’s home with British officers, Lord Cornwallis and General Patterson.
Location. 32° 47.271′ N, 79° 52.823′ W. Marker is in Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Hibben Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Pleasant SC 29464, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hibben House (a few steps from this marker); The Ferry Tract (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Whilden House / 54th Massachusetts Regiment (about 700 Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Haddrell's Point (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mount Pleasant Home for Destitute Children (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pitt Street Merchants (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Andrew's Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Mt. Pleasant.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 795 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on . 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.