Mt. Pleasant in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Now called Patriots Point, Hog Island played a crucial role in the defense of the Charleston Harbor. In 1775, Patriot forces were sinking old ships in the deep Hog Island Channel to block British access to the Wando and Cooper Rivers. They were fired upon by British ships in the first naval battle of the Revolutionary War in SC. This hostile act served to promote the Patriot cause.
During the Civil War, mines were placed in the Hog Island Channel by the Confederates as a defense against Union ships. A Confederate gun battery on the tip of Hog Island also protected the channel. The island was gradually connected to the mainland by dredge spoil. The area was annexed by Mount Pleasant in 1975 and was later developed and renamed Patriots Point .
Location. 32° 47.252′ N, 79° 54.06′ W. Marker is in Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Patriots Point Road, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Pleasant SC 29464, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Talos Missile (approx. 0.3 miles away); Helicopter Attack Squadron (Light) Three Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles Patriots Point Vietnam Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); U.S.S. Laffey (approx. 0.4 miles away); USS Clamagore (approx. 0.4 miles away); In Memoriam • USS Thresher and USS Scorpion (approx. 0.4 miles away); World War II Submarine Lost Boat Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Clamagore (SS-343) (approx. half a mile away).
Categories. • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 825 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on . • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.