Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Daleyville in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Hauge Log Church - 1852

 
 
Hauge Log Church - 1852 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gordon Govier, October 8, 2010
1. Hauge Log Church - 1852 Marker
Inscription. Early Norse pioneers who realized a need for a house of worship built the first Norwegian Lutheran Church in western Dane County from logs in the winter of 1851-52. First services held May 27, 1852 by the Rev. A.C. Preus. Previous itinerant pastors included C. Clausen, E Eielson, J.W.C. Dietrichson. Resident pastors from 1854 were P.A. Rasmussen, J.N. Fjeld, P.J. Solberg, and Knudt Hageseth who conducted last services in 1887 when congregation moved into a new church.
 
Erected 1963 by Dane County Historical Society. (Marker Number 2.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Dane County Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 42° 55.798′ N, 89° 49.188′ W. Marker is near Daleyville, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is on County Route Z half a mile west of Wisconsin Highway 78, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1321 County Road Z, Mount Horeb WI 53572, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. German Valley (approx. 3.8 miles away); Site of Blue Mounds Fort (approx. 5.3 miles away); Blue Mounds Fort
Hauge Log Church - 1852 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gordon Govier
2. Hauge Log Church - 1852 Marker
(approx. 5.9 miles away); Brigham Park (approx. 6.7 miles away); a different marker also named Brigham Park (approx. 6.8 miles away); Army Cargo Plane Crash (approx. 7 miles away); Old Town (approx. 7.2 miles away); Donald Park (approx. 7.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Hauge Log Church - History. The Hauge Log Church was constructed by early Norwegian settlers in western Dane County, Wisconsin. Following several years where services were held on a rotating basis in the congregation's homes, it was decided in 1851 that a dedicated church building was needed. Each settler was called upon to provide oak logs and help in erecting the structure. Logs were cut and drawn during the fall and winter of 1851 and in the early spring of 1852 construction of the 20 foot by 20 foot building was completed on land donated by Anders Sanderson. (Submitted on October 16, 2010.) 

2. Court battle over view from historic Norwegian church could cost small town more than $1 million. (Submitted on February 8, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
Hauge Log Church Graveyard and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gordon Govier, October 8, 2010
3. Hauge Log Church Graveyard and Marker
Hauge Log Church image. Click for full size.
By Gordon Govier, October 8, 2010
4. Hauge Log Church
Hauge Log Church image. Click for full size.
By Gordon Govier, October 8, 2010
5. Hauge Log Church
Hauge Log Church interior image. Click for full size.
By Gordon Govier, October 8, 2010
6. Hauge Log Church interior
Hauge Log Church interior image. Click for full size.
By Gordon Govier, October 8, 2010
7. Hauge Log Church interior
Hauge Log Church Grave Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gordon Govier, October 8, 2010
8. Hauge Log Church Grave Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,431 times since then and 130 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement