Rio Grande City in Starr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Old Rancho Davis
Home of Henry Clay Davis, a Kentuckian
Came to Texas in 1839 * served with Taylor's army in 1846 * married into the Garza family, pioneer settlers and large landowners in the region * Around his home, Rio Grande City grew up * Steamboats from Brownsville made the town a trading center * Ringgold Barracks was established nearby in 1848 * Rio Grande City, the county seat
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 4180.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 26° 22.751′ N, 98° 49.238′ W. Marker is in Rio Grande City, Texas, in Starr County. Marker is at the intersection of North Britton Avenue and East 1st / Main Street (U.S. 83), in the median on North Britton Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at the south end of Main Plaza, midway between the city center and the Rio Grande River. Marker is at or near this postal address: North Britton Avenue, Rio Grande City TX 78582, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Site of Cortina Battle (within shouting distance of this marker).
Also see . . . Old Military Road. Rio Grande City to Brownsville (Submitted on October 9, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Carnestolendas Ranch; José Antonio de la Garza Falcón; Rio Bravo; Old Military Road.
Categories. • Hispanic Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, Mexican-American • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 872 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on July 19, 2016.