Waukesha in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
A century ago, Waukesha was known as “Spring City” because of its many springs. Records show the presence of more than 50 springs within the City of Waukesha and more were scattered around the County.
Two springs were located here in Frame Park, Hobo and Asahel (later called Orchard Spring). Both are shown on the 1891 map of Waukesha, although Hobo is not named. Towering trees formed the roof for both springs, and the slower pace characteristic of that earlier time is still found here at Hobo Spring.
Erected 2007 by Waukesha County Historical Museum. (Marker Number 34-07.)
Location. 43° 1.216′ N, 88° 13.265′ W. Marker is in Waukesha, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East Moreland Blvd and White Rock Avenue. Click for map. Marker is located in Frame Park, off East Moreland Blvd entrance. Marker is in this post office area: Waukesha WI 53186, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Tribes Bible Institute (approx. half Courthouse Square (approx. 0.6 miles away); Moor Mud Baths Hotel (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Waukesha Freeman (approx. ¾ mile away); Weber Brewery (approx. ¾ mile away); Silurian Spring (approx. ¾ mile away); Waukesha Civic Theatre (WCT) (approx. ¾ mile away); Rotunda (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Waukesha.
1. Recent History
In 1997 after approval from The Waukesha Landmarks Commission, Fox River Development Board, and the Park Board, Deborah Hankel headed up a restoration project for the spring. The project was funded through a HUD grant and donations from others such as the 1834 Club and Ralph North. The old wading pool was found again and all the original stones were found, except one. Luckily, the Halquist Stone Company donated a matching stone which was very rare and had not been available in the area in over 50 years.
Categories. • Natural Resources •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 936 times since then and 99 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.