Inscription. During the War of 1812, a circular 180° earthen artillery redoubt was erected as a defense for Fort McHenry. On September 13, 1814, Lt. George Budd commanded naval forces that assisted in repulsing a nighttime British attack on the Ferry Branch defenses of Forts Covington and Babcock. In ca. 1828, Alfred J. Miller painted "The Bombardment of Fort McHenry" from here.
By Chris Nelson, March 21, 2010
|1. Fort Look-Out Marker|
Erected by Maryland Historical Trust, Maryland State Highway Administration.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Battlefield Trails - War of 1812 marker series.
Location. 39° 16.301′ N, 76° 36.495′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of East Randall Street and Riverside Avenue, on the right when traveling east on East Randall Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21230, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Strategic Post (within shouting distance of this marker); Platt and Company Oyster Packers (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sailors Union Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Working Point (approx. 0.4 miles away); Salvation Army (approx. 0.4 miles away); Federal Hill (approx. half a mile away); Grand Army of the Republic (approx. half a mile away); Major General Samuel Smith (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Baltimore.
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2010, by Chris Nelson of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,203 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on October 11, 2010, by Chris Nelson of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |