Inscription. Built 1839 and located just West of this marker on land donated by Henry B. Chew of Epsom Estate, the chapel served Towsontown both as church and community center. The chapel was first used by Methodists and became the cradle of Methodism in Towson. Demolished, 1950.
By Chris Nelson, November 7, 2009
|1. Epsom Chapel Marker|
Erected by Baltimore County Historical Society.
Location. 39° 24.1′ N, 76° 35.991′ W. Marker is in Towson, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is at the intersection of Virginia Avenue and East Joppa Road, on the right when traveling south on Virginia Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Towson MD 21286, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Baltimore County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hometown Hero (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Baltimore County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); War of 1812 Cannon (approx. 0.6 miles away); Captain Charles Ridgely (approx. 1.2 miles away); A Romance with Nature: The Falling Garden (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Joppa Road (approx. 1.2 miles away); Oranges in January (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Towson.
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2010, by Chris Nelson of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 585 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on October 11, 2010, by Chris Nelson of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |