Nassau in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1932 by Historic Marker Commission. (Marker Number S-29.)
Location. 38° 45.614′ N, 75° 12.147′ W. Marker is in Nassau, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Coastal Highway (Delaware Route 1), on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Located east side of highway, just south of Red Mill Pond. Marker is in this post office area: Lewes DE 19958, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lewes (approx. 2.8 miles away); a different marker also named Lewes (approx. 2.9 miles away); Home of Major Henry Fisher (approx. 3 miles away); The De Vries Monument (approx. 3 miles away); deVries Monument (approx. 3 miles away); Maull House (approx. 3 miles away); a different marker also named Lewes (approx. 3.1 miles away); Hiram Rodney Burton House (approx. 3.4 miles away).
Regarding Broadkiln Hundred.
The counties of Delaware were originally divided into
Hundreds based on the English use of dividing up counties.
On October 25, 1682, William Penn directed that Delaware
be divided into hundreds for the purposes of taxation.
A "hundred" is an old English Saxon land division which
is smaller than a county or shire and larger than a
tithing. It comprised ten tithings of ten freeholder
families each or one hundred families. The hundreds of
Delaware originally served as judicial or legislative
districts, but now they remain only as a basis for
property tax assessment.
— Submitted October 14, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 458 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.