Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Toronto in Toronto, Ontario — Central Canada
 

The Macdonald-Mowat House

1872

 
 
The Macdonald-Mowat House Marker - west (street-facing) side image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 19, 2010
1. The Macdonald-Mowat House Marker - west (street-facing) side
Inscription. Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada's first prime minister, purchased this house in 1876 and lived here 1876-78. It was built in 1872 in the French Second Empire style by Nathaniel Dickey, a Toronto iron founder. Macdonald owned the property until 1886 and it was occupied by his son, Hugh John, 1879-82. The Hon. Oliver Mowat, prime minister of Ontario, bought and occupied the house in 1888 and retained ownership until 1902. The property was leased, 1897-98, to the Hon. Arthur Sturgis Hardy who succeeded Mowat as prime minister and sold to Knox College in 1910.

Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario
 
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
 
Location. 43° 39.699′ N, 79° 23.838′ W. Marker is in Toronto, Ontario, in Toronto. Marker is on St. George Street just south of Wilcocks Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 63 St. George Street, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A1, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sir Daniel Wilson (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Charles William Jefferys (about 240 meters away); The Discovery of Insulin (approx.
The Macdonald-Mowat House Marker - east (building-facing) side image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 19, 2010
2. The Macdonald-Mowat House Marker - east (building-facing) side
The text is the same on both sides of the marker.
0.3 kilometers away); William Arthur Parks 1868-1936 (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Charles Trick Currelly 1876-1957 (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Canadian Airmen Monument (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); South African War Memorial (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); The Bishop’s Palace 1818 (approx. 2.1 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Toronto.
 
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on a pole just off the sidewalk in front of the Macdonald-Mowat House.
 
Regarding The Macdonald-Mowat House.

Sir John Alexander Macdonald, GCB, KCMG, PC, PC (Can), 11 January 1815 – 6 June 1891) was the first Prime Minister of Canada and the dominant figure of Canadian Confederation. Macdonald's tenure in office spanned 18 years, making him the second longest serving Prime Minister of Canada. He is the only Canadian Prime Minister to win six majority governments. He was the major proponent of a national railway, the Canadian Pacific Railway, completed in 1885, linking Canada from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean. He won praise for having
The Macdonald-Mowat House Marker - wide view image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 19, 2010
3. The Macdonald-Mowat House Marker - wide view
The Macdonald-Mowat House, in the background, currently houses the Student Services of the School of Graduate Studies, located on the University of Toronto campus.
helped forge a nation of sprawling geographic size, with two diverse European colonial origins, numerous Aboriginal nations, and a multiplicity of cultural backgrounds and political views.
— Wikipedia.org biography of Macdonald, retrieved October 16, 2010.

Sir Oliver Mowat, GCMG, PC, QC (July 22, 1820 – 19 April 1903) was a Canadian politician, and the third Premier of Ontario from 1872 to 1896, making him the longest serving premier of that province and the 3rd longest in all of Canadian history. He is one of the Fathers of Confederation.— Wikipedia.org biography of Mowat, retrieved October 16, 2010.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
The Macdonald-Mowat House (1872) - south (entrance) side of building image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 19, 2010
4. The Macdonald-Mowat House (1872) - south (entrance) side of building
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 764 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.   3, 4. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement