Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Blue Mounds in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Site of Blue Mounds Fort

 
 
Site of Blue Mounds Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, October 16, 2010
1. Site of Blue Mounds Fort Marker
Inscription. Built in May 1832 by the miners and settlers of the neighborhood and garrisoned by them as volunteer members of General Henry Dodge's Iowa-Michigan Brigade from May 20 to September 20, 1832 during the Black Hawk War

This site was donated to the State Historical Society of Wisconsin by the heirs of Colonel Ebenezer Brigham
Pioneer settler of Blue Mounds who helped build the fort

 
Erected 1921 by the State Historical Society of Wisconsin.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Black Hawk War marker series.
 
Location. 43° 0.332′ N, 89° 49.775′ W. Marker is near Blue Mounds, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker can be reached from County Highway F 0.2 miles south of U.S. 151, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. The marker is in a small patch of ground in the middle of a farm field just north of the farm house at the end of Eckel Road. While the one-quarter acre containing the marker is owned by the Wisconsin Historical Society, the surrounding land is privately owned and permission should be obtained from the occupants of the farm house before viewing the marker. Marker is in this post office area: Blue Mounds WI 53517, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Site of Blue Mounds Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, October 16, 2010
2. Site of Blue Mounds Fort Marker
The marker is now on a rock in the middle of the ground formerly occupied by the fort (center). The "prairie knoll" location has a commanding view of the surrounding countryside in all directions. This is the view to the northwest.
are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Blue Mounds Fort (approx. 0.7 miles away); Brigham Park (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Brigham Park (approx. 1.6 miles away); Army Cargo Plane Crash (approx. 1.9 miles away); German Valley (approx. 2.7 miles away); Elvers Corner (approx. 4.7 miles away); Old Town (approx. 5.1 miles away); Hauge Log Church - 1852 (approx. 5.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Blue Mounds.
 
More about this marker. The Wisconsin Magazine of History article, a link to which is included below, states that this was the first marker erected by the Wisconsin Historical Society.
 
Also see . . .  Uncovering the Story of Fort Blue Mounds. Link to an article by Robert A. Birmingham in the Wisconsin Magazine of History on the history and excavation of the fort. The article describes dedication of the marker and includes a photo of the marker on its original concrete base. (Submitted on October 17, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian
 
Site of Blue Mounds Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, October 16, 2010
3. Site of Blue Mounds Fort Marker
The view north toward Blue Mounds and the other marker for the fort.
Site of Blue Mounds Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, October 16, 2010
4. Site of Blue Mounds Fort Marker
The view to the southeast with the moon rising.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 997 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement