Corpus Christi in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Corpus Christi Cathedral
The Corpus Christi Cathedral is the second structure to serve as cathedral for the Diocese of Corpus Christi. It replaced Saint Patrick's, the church which had become the cathedral when the city was elevated to Diocesan seat in 1912. After a 1938 fire damaged Saint Patrick's (originally located at 800 Tancahua), the John G. Kenedy family began the drive for donations for a new cathedral by donating this property, the original site of their family residence, to the diocese.
Bishops E. B. Ledvina and Mariano S. Garriaga retained architect C.L. Monnot of Oklahoma, who designed this lofty, two-story structure. A stylized interpretation of the architecture of the early Spanish missions, the cathedral features asymmetrical bell towers with painted terra cotta domes, art glass windows, and a low-pitched gable tile roof.
The cornerstone was laid March 1, 1940. Pope Pius XII advised Bishop Ledvina to name the new structure after its host city, whose name in Latin means "Body of Christ". Later that year on July 17, 1940, the new structure was dedicated as the Corpus Christi Cathedral.
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1065.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 506 North Upper Broadway, Corpus Christi TX 78401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Nueces Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Selena Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Niņa (approx. 0.4 miles away); Explosion of the Steamship Dayton (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Bayview Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Thomas S. Parker (approx. half a mile away); Nueces County Courthouse of 1914 (approx. half a mile away); McCampbell House (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Corpus Christi.
Additional keywords. Roman Catholic
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Landmarks • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 635 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and surrounding area in context
Submission of other markers around the Cathedral • Can you help?