Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Montevallo in Shelby County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Welcome To Historic Montevallo

 
 
Welcome To Historic Montevallo Marker Side A image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, October 17, 2010
1. Welcome To Historic Montevallo Marker Side A
Inscription. Home of the University of Montevallo, American Village and the Alabama Veterans Cemetery, Montevallo is located in the geographical center of Alabama at 33° 6’ 18” N 86° 51’ 46” W. In 1814, Jesse Wilson laid claim to “Wilson’s Hill” located above Shoal Creek, making it the oldest settlement in Shelby County, Alabama. In 1817, after General Andrew Jackson defeated the Creek Indians on the Coosa River, homesteaders like Wilson and his family and friends settled in the area. During this time, the area was known as “a little mountain in a valley”, and Montevallo is thought to have derived its name from this geographical reference. The direct Italian translation of Montevallo is “on a mound in the valley.”

Reverse:

Montevallo’s rich history and deep roots left behind treasured buildings and places that remain integral parts of the community. The classic main street is just one example, with buildings dating back to the late 1800s. Seventy-three homes and buildings in Montevallo have earned their place on the National Historic Register, including Reynolds Hall and other buildings on the University of Montevallo campus. Some areas have even taken shape as tourist attractions for the city, such as the Aldrich Coal Mine Museum and Farrington Hall. Montevallo’s historic
Welcome To Historic Montevallo Marker Side B image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, October 17, 2010
2. Welcome To Historic Montevallo Marker Side B
post office, located on the corner of Main and Vine, is one of 23 post offices in Alabama selected to receive artistic decoration under the New Deal government during the Great Depression. Early Settlers Weighing Cotton (1939) by William S. McCall was commissioned as part of a federal art project organized under the Works Progress Administration (WPA) from 1935 to 1943.
 
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Montevallo.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
 
Location. 33° 6.035′ N, 86° 51.72′ W. Marker is in Montevallo, Alabama, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (State Highway 119) and Middle Street, on the right on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Montevallo AL 35115, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alabama Historical Association (approx. 0.2 miles away); Montevallo High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); University Of Montevallo National Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); King House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Town of Wilton
Welcome To Historic Montevallo Marker (South View) and Downtown Montevallo image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, October 17, 2010
3. Welcome To Historic Montevallo Marker (South View) and Downtown Montevallo
(approx. 1.9 miles away); James Daniel Hardy (approx. 3.3 miles away); Harless Cemetery (approx. 5.7 miles away); Bibb Furnace (approx. 6.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Montevallo.
 
Also see . . .  Visiting the City of Montevallo. (Submitted on October 23, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Notable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
Welcome To Historic Montevallo Marker (North View) image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, October 17, 2010
4. Welcome To Historic Montevallo Marker (North View)
Center of Alabama Monument image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, October 17, 2010
5. Center of Alabama Monument
Located east of downtown off Highway 25 on Reynolds Cemetery Road.
Center of Alabama Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, October 17, 2010
6. Center of Alabama Marker
Reynolds Hall built 1851 image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, October 17, 2010
7. Reynolds Hall built 1851
"Early Settlers Weighing Cotton" by William S. McCall, 1939 image. Click for full size.
8. "Early Settlers Weighing Cotton" by William S. McCall, 1939
“Often mistaken for WPA art, post office murals were actually executed by artists working for the Section of Fine Arts. Commonly known as “the Section,” it was established in 1934 and administered by the Procurement Division of the Treasury Department. Headed by Edward Bruce, a former lawyer, businessman, and artist, the Section’s main function was to select art of high quality to decorate public buildings if the funding was available. By providing decoration in public buildings, the art was made accessible to all people.” from “Articles from EnRoute : Off The Wall: New Deal Post Office Murals” by Patricia Raynor.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,031 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.   8. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement