Spotsylvania in Spotsylvania County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Spotsylvania County Jail
The Jail was relocated in June of 1839, with the acceptance of the “new Courthouse”. Bricks, irons and timbers from the Blockhouse Road jail were used in the construction. That jail, positioned just downgrade from this location, burned in 1853. Salvaged brick was used to erect a wall around two sides of the Courthouse lot.
In March 1855 the Virginia Herald reported that the jail contractor and “new” tavern owner, Joseph Sanford, had nearly completed “a top notch public facility for administration of justice in the County” at a cost of approximately $3000.00. It was formally accepted the next year and remained in use as a jail until 1943.
(Caption of picture, lower left): Women At Jail Door, May 6, 1887; Virginia Historical
(Caption of picture, lower right): Spotsylvania Jail, WPA, July 1931, The Library of Virginia
Erected by Spotsylvania Preservation Foundation.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 38° 12.042′ N, 77° 35.337′ W. Marker is in Spotsylvania, Virginia, in Spotsylvania County. Marker is at the intersection of Courthouse Road (Virginia Route 208) and American Legion Drive, on the left when traveling south on Courthouse Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Spotsylvania VA 22553, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Spotsylvania Courthouse and Jail (a few steps from this marker); Lee’s Headquarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Spotsylvania (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Spotsylvania County Honor Roll Booth Hall (about 300 feet away); Spotsylvania Court House (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Spotsylvania Court House (about 400 feet away); Confederate Soldiers (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Spotsylvania.
Also see . . . The Old Jail. Citizens are encouraged to study the county's rich heritage and develop an interest in preserving historic resources throughout the county. SPFI is currently restoring the "Spotsylvania Jail", built at the Court House in 1855, for development as a museum featuring the jail and its role in Spotsylvania history. (Submitted on November 20, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,154 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.