Valhermoso Springs in Morgan County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
“Vale of Beauty”
Jean Joseph Giers acquired the hotel and surrounding property in 1856, renaming it "Valhermoso Springs." Into the 20th century, travelers from all over the world came to the hotel and springs seeking relief from rheumatism, insomnia, consumption, and ailments of the skin, kidneys, stomach, and liver. The hotel closed in the 1920s and was destroyed by tornado in 1950.
Erected 2000 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 34° 30.4′ N, 86° 40.617′ W. Marker is in Valhermoso Springs, Alabama, in Morgan County. Marker is on State Highway 36 east of Thomas Road, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is located just east of the bridge and is marked by 'Historical Marker' signs up to 1500 feet from the pull-off. Marker is in this post office area: Valhermoso Springs AL 35775, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Lacey's Spring (approx. 5.4 miles away); Triana, Alabama (approx. 6.2 miles away); First Permanent Court House, Morgan County (approx. 7.3 miles away); Site of Ditto's Landing and Town of Whitesburg (approx. 8.1 miles away); The Boeing-Vertol A/ACH47A Helicopter Gunship (approx. 9.1 miles away); Mt. Zion Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 10 miles away); Formation of the George C. Marshall Space Flight Center (approx. 13.2 miles away); Madison County Veterans (approx. 13.6 miles away).
Categories. • Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 2,969 times since then and 123 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.