Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Center Point in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Center Point, Alabama

A Great New City Springs Forth

 
 
Center Point, Alabama Marker image. Click for full size.
By Julia Frost, September 25, 2010
1. Center Point, Alabama Marker
Inscription. In 1700s, Native Americans occupied the Springs property. Robert Reed's family arrived in the area from North Carolina in 1816. They obtained a land grant; soon others moved to the area. In 1871, Dave Franklin built a log cabin in the area which was named Center Point.

In the 1900s, Center Point boasted a one-room school, blacksmith, shop, grocery store, post office, a Baptist and Methodist church.

Andy Beard invented the coupling mechanism for railroad cars and sold it for $10,000. In 1924, Center Point Elementary rock school was constructed. In 1947, Cullen Scott discovered water to supply Center Point. Recognizing the potential for community growth, Paul Snow initiated development of Sun Valley subdivision and Erwin Elementary and High School. In 1967, Center Point became the largest unincorporated area in the U.S., boasting a population of 64,000, thriving businesses, recreational facilities, beautiful homes and churches.

Reverse Side
In 1999, Jefferson County Commissioner Bettye Fine Collins called a meeting to discuss the Center Point Community. Center Point Action Committee formed to clean up the community. Betty Cannon was the first chairperson. The next chairperson, Wink Chapman, formed a committee to study the possibility of incorporation. Petitions were gathered for 1 1/2 years. Legislative efforts were

Reverse Side of Marker - "Center Point, AL" image. Click for full size.
By Julia Frost, September 25, 2010
2. Reverse Side of Marker - "Center Point, AL"
spearheaded by Arthur Payne. Citizens (84%) voted for incorporation March 12, 2002.

April 23, 2002 marked the election of the first mayor and council, which included: Mayor Tom Henderson, Council President Billie Davis and council members George Franklin, Roger Barlow, Jesse Miller, and Ken McIntyre.

The First City Hall was renovated at 19 20th Ct. NW; space was donated by Ronnie Roddam. Historic Center Point Elementary School was leased for a City Hall and renovated by volunteers under George Franklin. Significant accomplishments in Center Point include the acquisition of 17-acre Reed-Harvey Park, Center Point ballpark, and the Scott home for a library; the completion of Center Point Senior Center and membership in Five Mile Creek Greenway Partnership.
 
Erected 2010 by The Alabama Tourism Department, The City of Center Point.
 
Location. 33° 38.554′ N, 86° 41.028′ W. Marker is in Center Point, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Center Point Pkwy (State Highway 75), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2209 Center Point Pkwy,, Birmingham AL 35215, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jefferson Warriors (approx. 3.3

Center Point City Hall and the Center Point, Alabama Marker on The Right image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, November 11, 2010
3. Center Point City Hall and the Center Point, Alabama Marker on The Right
miles away); Pinson, Alabama (approx. 3.4 miles away); Zion Memorial Gardens (approx. 4.3 miles away); Wilson Chapel And Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); Roebuck Spring (approx. 4.4 miles away); Roebuck Springs Historic District (approx. 4.4 miles away); Trussville Furnace (approx. 4.6 miles away); Confederate Storehouse Burned By Federal Troops (approx. 4.6 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  History of Center Point, Alabama. (Submitted on November 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Reed - Riddle Cabin built 1816 image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr
4. Reed - Riddle Cabin built 1816
The original cabin walls still exist within the walls of the modern additions to the home. A portion of the walls still can be seen here between the chimney.
Original log walls of the Reed House. image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr
5. Original log walls of the Reed House.
The Spring House at the Reed-Harvey Park image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr
6. The Spring House at the Reed-Harvey Park
The Springs at the Reed-Harvey Park image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr
7. The Springs at the Reed-Harvey Park
Erwin High School image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, November 11, 2010
8. Erwin High School
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Julia Frost of Hoover, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,804 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Julia Frost of Hoover, Alabama.   3. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.   4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.   8. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement