Niagara-on-the-Lake in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada
St. Vincent de Paul Church, 1835
The first permanent parish with a resident priest was established here in 1826 to serve the pastoral needs of the growing number of Catholics in the Niagara Peninsula and the west-central part of the Province. Though the area of its pastoral jurisdiction was soon reduced, St. Vincent de Paul remained very much a spiritual home to Catholics on both sides of the Niagara River for many years.
Bishop Alexander Macdonell of Kingston blessed the frame church with its Gothic windows on November 9, 1835. The Most Reverend Thomas J. McCarthy, Bishop of St. Catherines, blessed the restoration of the original church and the polygon-shaped addition to the front of the building on July 25, 1965. Today St. Vincent de Paul, an example of early church architecture in Canada, remains the oldest surviving Catholic Church still used for worship in the Province of Ontario.
This plaque was blessed and dedicated by the Most Reverend Thomas B. Fulton, D.D., Bishop of St. Catherines, December 1, 1985.
An historical plaque of the
Erected 1985 by Roman Catholic Diocese of St. Catherine.
Location. 43° 15.21′ N, 79° 4.076′ W. Marker is in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, in Niagara Region. Marker is at the intersection of Picton Street and Wellington Street, on the left on Picton Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 73 Picton Street, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario L0S 1J0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Butler's Rangers (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); Niagara Apothecary (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Canada Constellation (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); William Kirby (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Janet Carnochan 1839 - 1926 (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Niagara on the Lake Historical District (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Memorial Hall, 1906 (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Niagara Harbour and Dock Company (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Niagara-on-the-Lake.
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on a pole to the immediate right of the sidewalk that leads from the street to the church.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 921 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.