Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Montevallo in Shelby County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

University Of Montevallo National Historic District

 
 
University Of Montevallo National Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, October 17, 2010
1. University Of Montevallo National Historic District Marker
Inscription. Originally named Alabama Girls' Industrial School and later Alabama College, this institution was founded Oct. 12, 1896, by the Alabama Legislature. It was the state college for women until 1956, when it became coeducational. In 1969 the name was changed to the University of Montevallo. In Dec., 1978, the central portion of the campus was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The oldest buildings are King House (1823) and Reynolds Hall (1851)
 
Erected 1979 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Location. 33° 6.278′ N, 86° 51.713′ W. Marker is in Montevallo, Alabama, in Shelby County. Marker is on Highland Street south of Bloch Street, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker located across from the Carmichael Library on the campus of the University of Montevallo. Marker is in this post office area: Montevallo AL 35115, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. King House (within shouting distance of this marker); Montevallo High School (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alabama Historical Association (about 600 feet away); Welcome To Historic Montevallo
University Of Montevallo National Historic District Marker and the Carmichael Library image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, October 17, 2010
2. University Of Montevallo National Historic District Marker and the Carmichael Library
(approx. 0.3 miles away); Town of Wilton (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Liberty Bell Garden (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Liberty Bell (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Colonial Courthouse/The Stocks and Pillory (approx. 3.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Montevallo.
 
Also see . . .
1. University of Montevallo website. (Submitted on October 26, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
2. Encylopedia of Alabama: University of Montevallo. (Submitted on October 26, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
 
Categories. EducationNotable Places
 
The King House built in 1823 image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, October 17, 2010
3. The King House built in 1823
Reynolds Hall built in 1851 and first used by the Montevallo Male Institute. image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, October 17, 2010
4. Reynolds Hall built in 1851 and first used by the Montevallo Male Institute.
University Of Montevallo National Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, February 20, 2017
5. University Of Montevallo National Historic District Marker
Ranked 13th Best Public University in the South in its Division U.S. News & World Report College of Distinction 2012*2013*2014*2015*2016
The Becoming Sculpture @ University Of Montevallo image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, February 20, 2017
6. The Becoming Sculpture @ University Of Montevallo
The Becoming Sculpture was created by Ted Metz, a University of Montevallo art professor. The sculpture, 16 feet tall and made of bronze, was unveiled on February 15, 2003. The pedestal underneath the sculpture is made of limestone and red bricks. The sculpture depicts two hands: a young hand representing university students reaching out toward the future, and an older hand representing the university itself guiding the student to that future. The separation between the hands represents the studentís graduation. The older hand was modeled after Metzís own hand, while the younger hand was modeled after one of his studentsí hands. The sculpture was created on campus by about 40 university students under the direction of Metz and took 22 months to complete. Approximately 90 individual molds were cast using 5000 pounds of bronze. The sculpture stands near Main Hall and Wills Hall.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 999 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.   5, 6. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on February 22, 2017.
Paid Advertisement