“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dahlonega in Lumpkin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

The Public Square

The Public Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 2, 2010
1. The Public Square Marker
Inscription. When surveyors laid out the original village, this square was designated The Public Square. The center of the Square was reserved for the construction of a courthouse, completed on 1836. The Public Square embodies the rights guaranteed to the people in the Constitution of the United States, including Freedom of Speech and Peaceable Assembly. Independence Day and the Fourth of July are celebrated here each year. Throughout the year, there are gala celebrations and more somber observances, including Memorial Day in May and Veterans Day in November. The Gold Rush Days Festival each October recalls the Georgia Gold Rush of 1829 with the bittersweet echo of the forced removal of the Cherokees in 1838 along the trail of Tears.

By folk tradition, bridal couples circle the Square three times to guarantee good luck in the marriage. Some funeral processions circle the Square in final farewell to the community. The Public Square had continued to serve its original purpose as a place where the people assemble to exercise their Constitutional Rights. It is a legacy to the present generation from all of the people who have come before.

The Public Square is included in the National Register of Historic Places within the Dahlonega Historic Commercial District.

Present to the city of Dahlonega, Georgia by the Lumpkin County
The Public Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 2, 2010
2. The Public Square Marker
The marker, with Public Square North and the Old Courthouse in the background.
Historical Society, Inc.
Erected by Lumpkin County Historical Society, Inc.
Location. 34° 31.975′ N, 83° 59.11′ W. Marker is in Dahlonega, Georgia, in Lumpkin County. Marker is on Public Square North (Old U.S. 19) 0 miles west of North Park Street. Click for map. The marker stands on the sidewalk on the Public Square, opposite the Old Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Dahlonega GA 30533, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lumpkin Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); Singleton/Wimpy/Gaillard Homeplace (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dahlonega Mustering Grounds (approx. 0.2 miles away); Price Memorial Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Consolidated Gold Mines (approx. 0.6 miles away); Findley Ridge (approx. 0.9 miles away); "Gold Diggers' Road" (approx. 2.8 miles away); Calhoun Gold Mine (approx. 3.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Dahlonega.
Categories. Antebellum South, USGovernmentNative Americans
The Public Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 2, 2010
3. The Public Square Marker
Looking toward the northeast side of the Public Square
The Old Lumpkin County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 2, 2010
4. The Old Lumpkin County Courthouse
The original Lumpkin County Courthouse, which sits in the middle of the Public Square, was built in 1836. It cost $6850, which was paid in gold bullion. It was replaced by a new courthouse in 1965, and is now the Gold Museum.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 596 times since then and 58 times this year. Last updated on , by R. Zebley of Rapid City, South Dakota. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement