Milton in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Ships and Men
In 1828, the ECLIPSE became the Broadkillís first vessel with a cargo capacity of over 100 tons. Twenty years later the JOHN G. WRIGHT became the first to exceed 100 feet in length. While noted for their size, the ships of the Broadkill were also acclaimed for their speed and sailing ability. Large sloop-rigged vessels were replaced by faster two and three-masted schooners. Many were too large to return after launching. Builders of note included Samuel Martin, William C. Prettyman, David H. Atkins, C. C. Davidson, and Joseph L. Black & Bro. The final sailing ship was built in 1904, and in 1915 the motorized fishing boat WILD CAT became the last product of local shipyards to be launched into the waters of the Broadkill River.
Erected 2001 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-144.)
Location. Click for map. Located in Milton Memorial Park at the Broadkill River foot bridge and landing, behind the library. Marker is in this post office area: Milton DE 19968, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shipbuilding on the Broadkill (a few steps from this marker); Milton Public Library (within shouting distance of this marker); The Holly Industry (within shouting distance of this marker); Governor David Hazzard (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Milton Museum (about 400 feet away); Governor Samuel Paynter (about 400 feet away); Milton Fire Department, Inc. (about 600 feet away); Carey Storehouse (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Milton.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 497 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.