Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glennville in Russell County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Glennville

 
 
Glennville Marker Side A image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, March 16, 2007
1. Glennville Marker Side A
Inscription. (Front):
One of the earliest white settlements in the Old Creek Indian Nation. James Elizabeth Glenn, who named the town, and his brother Thompson Glenn, arrived here in 1835 only to have to evacuate during the Indian uprisings of 1836, at which time all buildings were destroyed and the remaining settlers killed. Thompson Glenn is credited with effecting the removal, to Columbus, Georgia, of the entrapped white citizens of nearby Roanoke, Georgia, during the same uprising. Glennville was resettled upon the removal of the Indians. It rapidly attracted settlers and their social and cultural standards caused Glennville to be known as "The Athens of the South."

(Reverse):
At its apex this town had collegiate institutes, finishing schools, a military academy, classic churches and stately homes. In 1854 John Bowles Glenn left here to establish a school at Auburn and became its first president of the board of trustees. This school in successive changes became Auburn University. Glennville was the home of the only known lynch mob that bought a newspaper advertisement, acknowledged the deed and published their names. The victim, a convicted murderer, was a member of a prominent Barbour County white family. The incident brought national attention to the town. The failure to accept a railroad, seen as "an intrusion
Glennville Marker Side B image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, March 16, 2007
2. Glennville Marker Side B
on their way of living," proved to be the herald of the town's demise.
 
Erected 1980 by The Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Russell County Historical Commission.
 
Location. 32° 7.593′ N, 85° 10.601′ W. Marker is in Glennville, Alabama, in Russell County. Marker is on U.S. 431, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsview AL 36871, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Shepherd’s Plantation (approx. 8.3 miles away in Georgia); Florence (approx. 8.3 miles away in Georgia but has been reported missing); Villula (approx. 9.3 miles away); Fort Jones (approx. 9.4 miles away in Georgia); Fort McCreary – 1836 (approx. 9.6 miles away in Georgia); Roanoke (approx. 9.8 miles away in Georgia); Fort Browder/15th Alabama Infantry (approx. 11 miles away); Providence Methodist Church & Schoolhouse (approx. 11 miles away).
 
Categories. EducationSettlements & Settlers
 
Glennville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, June 3, 2009
3. Glennville Marker
Glennville Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, March 16, 2007
4. Glennville Historic District Marker
Church in the Glennville Historic District image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, March 16, 2007
5. Church in the Glennville Historic District
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,521 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.   3. submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina.   4, 5. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement