Cohoes in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Van Schaick Mansion
Revolutionary War Heritage Trail
From August 22-25, the house served as the New York State Capitol while Governor George Clinton and the American generals drew up a plan of action. In a controversial move, they replaced General Philip Schuyler, an old friend of the Van Schaicks, with General Gates as commander of the Northern Department of the Continental Army.
In mid-August, Benedict Arnold led 800 volunteers to relieve the besieged troops at Fort Stanwix on the western frontier. They returned in time to advance to Saratoga where the Americans forced the British to surrender. British General Burgoyne stopped here as a prisoner of war afterwards.
Erected by State of New York.
Location. 42° 46.043′ N, 73° 41.218′ W. Marker is in Cohoes, New York, in Albany County. Marker is at the intersection of Van Schaick Avenue and Railroad Drive, on the right when Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cohoes NY 12047, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Van Schaick Mansion (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Van Schaick Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); Van Schaick Burial Plot (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Camp Van Schaick (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named Camp Van Schaick (about 800 feet away); Van Schaick Island (approx. 0.4 miles away); Herman Melville (approx. 0.6 miles away); Juncta (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Cohoes.
More about this marker. The lower left of the marker contains portraits of General Philip Schuyler and General Horatio Gates. A picture, from a 1783 portrait by Gilbert Stuart, of Col. Peter Gansevoort appears on the right of the marker. It has a caption of “John’s sister, Catherine Van Schaick, also lived here in 1777. Her fiancé, Col. Peter Gansevoort, was commander of Fort Stanwix. They were married on January 12, 1778 in a three-day wedding attended by all of the prominent Dutch families of New York.”
The center of the marker features a cross section of the multi-level mansion,
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 732 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 5. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.