“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Trenton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Douglass House

Douglass House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gary Nigh, November 2007
1. Douglass House Marker
Inscription. Circa 1766, Home of Alexander Douglass, Quartermaster in Washington’s Army, who fought in the Battle of Assunpink, Jan. 2, 1777.
Here on that date General Washington held the Council of War. Washington’s idea was to leave campfires burning on the south bank of the Assunpink allowing his men to move out toward Princeton under the cover of darkness, leaving the enemy on the opposite bank unaware. Many military historians deem this the boldest plot in American military history. The successful battles of Trenton are said to be the turning point of the Revolution.
The Douglass House has been moved several times having been built at the site of the Lutheran Church on South Broad Street.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected 1978 by Old Mill Hill Society.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 40° 13.137′ N, 74° 45.704′ W. Marker was in Trenton, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker was at the intersection of East Front Street and South Montgomery Street, on the right when traveling east on East Front Street. Click for map. Marker was in this post office area: Trenton NJ 08611, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this
Douglass House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gary Nigh, November 2007
2. Douglass House Marker
location. The Alexander Douglass House (here, next to this marker); Mill Hill Playhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington Crossing the Delaware (within shouting distance of this marker); Mill Hill Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Trenton YMCA (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Churchyard (about 600 feet away); Rev. John Rosbrugh (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Trenton.
Regarding Douglass House. Listed in the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places, the Douglass house is a significant piece of Trenton’s history. It is representative of late 18th -early 19th century rowhomes found in Trenton. The long history of the Douglass house is interwoven with the Revolutionary War, the development of Trenton and the resurgence of interest in US history that occurred in the early 20th century. While the Douglass house has been moved three times, the significance of the house has not diminished.

Owned by the City of Trenton, the Douglass House is currently open for special events only. There is also a marker (House of Alexander Douglass) on the original site of this house, South Broad Street at Livingston Street. See related markers
Douglass House in Summer 2008 image. Click for full size.
By Gary Nigh, August 2008
3. Douglass House in Summer 2008
The Douglas House started undergoing extensive exterior renovations in Summer 2008. The marker has been removed temporarily as the plaza surrounding the house is being completely rebuilt.
link for the HMdb page about that marker.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . .  Alexander Douglass House (1766)... A short article about the house, hosted on the Ten Crucial Days... website. The website commemorates the crossing of the Delaware and the Battles of Trenton and Princeton. (Submitted on December 1, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable EventsNotable PersonsWar, US Revolutionary
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,237 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey.   3. submitted on , by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Pictures of the inside of the house. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement