Near Woodland in Talbot County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Columbus was seized by Federal Cav. under Gen. James H. Wilson, April 16, 1865. The next day Mintyís div. was sent forward to secure the Flint River crossing at Double Bridges. This was done by the 4th Michigan & 3d Ohio Cav., Col B. D. Pritchard comdg., after a rapid night march & a surprise attack, early the 18th.
The rest of Wilsonís forces left Columbus that day, following Mintyís div. via Talbotton, Belleview, Pleasant Hill, Double Bridges, Thomaston, Culloden -- Macon their destination.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 130-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 46.204′ N, 84° 33.467′ W. Marker is near Woodland, Georgia, in Talbot County. Marker is on Manchester Highway (Georgia Route 41) 0.1 miles south of Old Alabama Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodland GA 31836, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Double Bridges Straus Home Site (approx. 6.4 miles away); George Washington Towns (approx. 6.4 miles away); a different marker also named Straus Home Site (approx. 6.4 miles away); a different marker also named Straus Home Site (approx. 6.5 miles away); Talbot County (approx. 6.5 miles away); First Session Supreme Court of Georgia (approx. 6.5 miles away); Zion Episcopal Church (approx. 6.7 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 668 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.