Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
DeForest in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The De Forest Depot

Built in 1871

 
 
The De Forest Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, October 30, 2010
1. The De Forest Depot Marker
Inscription. The DeForest Depot was built in 1871, at the time of the construction of the railroad line which connected Madison to Portage. Land for a depot was donated to the railroad by Isaac DeForest. Recognizing the importance of rail service to the growth of the community, area residents provided funds to erect the building. Knute Knudtson, a local tradesman, constructed the depot using a post and beam building technique common to many area barns. The original exterior siding consisted of vertical boards and battens. In the 1920s the depot was remodeled to include wainscoting, horizontal siding, and new windows. The DeForest Depot closed in 1971 and the building was later purchased by the Chase Lumber Company of DeForest to be used for storage. In 2001 the land and the building were deeded by Fred and Helen Chase to the DeForest Area Historical Society. The current exterior restoration reflects the appearance of the building during the 1930s, when The Milwaukee Road train passed through town several times each day.

In appreciation...
This restoration project was made possible through the dedication, generosity, and gifts of many. Special appreciation is extended to the DeForest Depot Restoration Committee and to Society members and friends. The DMB Community Bank, the family of Robert and Dorothy Ethun, and the Village of DeForest
The De Forest Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, October 30, 2010
2. The De Forest Depot Marker
The depot is just behind the marker.
(Fred and Helen Chase Fund) for significant financial support.

Exterior restoration completed in 2008
 
Erected by the DeForest Area Historical Society.
 
Location. 43° 14.749′ N, 89° 20.492′ W. Marker is in DeForest, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street and DeForest Street, on the left when traveling south on Market Street. Click for map. The marker and depot are next to the DeForest Chamber of Commerce. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 DeForest Street, De Forest WI 53532, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. De Forest Centennial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Andreas Dahl (approx. 0.2 miles away); Our Bell (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of the First Well in DeForest (approx. 0.8 miles away); Token Creek (approx. 4.2 miles away); Ella Wheeler Wilcox (approx. 4.2 miles away); Schumacher Farm (approx. 5.9 miles away); Maureen Mengelt Memorial (approx. 6.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in DeForest.
 
Also see . . .  DeForest Area Historical Society. The Society maintains the depot and the adjacent Lyster House used by the Chamber of Commerce. (Submitted on November 5, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 
 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 485 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement